We've all got one; a group of friends who get together and talk about food, share recipes and techniques and generally shoot the shit. Ours just happens to be foul-mouthed and unabashed. This blog is a collaboration of authors (even occasionally male!) who share a love of booze, profanity, food and bitching.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Enchilada sauce.

So it's been awhile! Sorry for the absence, but I kind of moved to another country, so... y'know.

Last night was the first night myself and my new roommates threw together a joint-contribution meal where I made enchiladas and they made tacos. Living in a 3rd world country means adapting in oh-so-many ways, one of which is availability of ingredients. I can get many of the things I need for enchiladas here, but not enchilada sauce. An added complication is that one of my new roomies is gluten intolerant, so I had to do some searching until I found what looked like a decent recipe.

I ended up going with this one. We don't have any rice flour or other flour substitutes yet, so I just left out the roux formation and most of the water and oil. I added those in at the end until I got the right consistency. Amazingly, even without all that, it still tasted very good! Very flavorful and bakes up just like enchilada sauce should - not too gummy, not too runny, just right.

I don't have any pictures, sorry. I gobbled up the last of the leftovers for lunch today before thinking to grab my camera. You'll just have to take my word for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment