We've all got one; a group of friends who get together and talk about food, share recipes and techniques and generally shoot the shit. Ours just happens to be foul-mouthed and unabashed. This blog is a collaboration of authors (even occasionally male!) who share a love of booze, profanity, food and bitching.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

A very heart-y followup

The Peanutella project is a mixed bag. On one hand, the product itself is so very good. On the other hand, the Peanutella sandwich cookies were a colossal failure.

First off, I couldn't get the dough to come together. Left as is, this recipe was a dry mass that failed to stick, even with the recommended added 1/4 c cream. I added a whole egg and two whites to the dough before it formed a cohesive mass.

The resulting cookie was so bland that it frankly needed the filling. This is not a snacking cookie, this is a cookie that needs a hand, which is frankly bizarre to me, given the fragrance and richness of the ingredients. Also, it didn't roll out thin enough, so the resulting sandwich cookies are enormous and a little unwieldy.

Given this, my second attempt to make Peanutella sandwich cookies fell back on a recipe I've used before to good results. These cookies are flavorful and crisp, but strong enough to stand up to the filling. They roll out to about an eighth of an inch thick, and so are much easier to handle as a doubled cookie. My only problem with the second run is that I'm a profound idiot and forgot to double the recipe if I'm making sandwich cookies. The recipients of my gifts this holiday will have less cookies than I'd prefer to give them, but I'm offsetting that disappointment by including a jar of Peanutella as a consolation prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment