We've all got one; a group of friends who get together and talk about food, share recipes and techniques and generally shoot the shit. Ours just happens to be foul-mouthed and unabashed. This blog is a collaboration of authors (even occasionally male!) who share a love of booze, profanity, food and bitching.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Butternut squash soup.

It's autumn and that always puts me in the mood for soup! Warm, aromatic, heavy-cream-laden calorie bombs.

This recipe popped up on allrecipes.com as the recipe of the day about a week ago, and I decided to give it a shot. Roasting vegetables deepens and preserves their flavor a lot better than boiling them, so I did things a little differently than what the recipe calls for. I halved my squash and roasted it along with half of an onion and two cloves of garlic at 350 for about an hour.


 

Scoop out the insides of the squash and add the flesh, onion, garlic, spices and cream cheese to a food processor. I listened to the reviews on Allrecipies and only used half of the cream cheese that the recipe calls for.


Puree until smooth.


Bring 3 cups of water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes to a boil. Add the puree mixture and reduce to a simmer. If you have a stick blender, hit it with that to get a smooth, creamy soup.


Final thoughts: I substituted oregano for the marjoram because I didn't have any. That was a mistake. Marjoram is milder than oregano and I should have remembered how subtle squash is, because the oregano really overpowers the soup. Next time I will definitely drop the extra $2.

Overall a decent sweet, creamy soup for a cold, windy day. Not mind-blowing, not orgasmic, but definitely tasty. Next time I think I'll make a mirepoix. I have this theory that soup without a mirepoix base is a blasphemous abomination, but I have a rule about trying out recipes for the first time in their original incarnation and tweaking after tasting the finished product. I might amend that to "unless the recipe has a glaring problem" like soup without a mirepoix.

No comments:

Post a Comment